Listen to the Interview
Hello and welcome to The Remote Podcast Episode 28. This podcast is all about location independence, digital nomadism, and living life on your terms.
Each week we interview a new guest on the show, and this week I sat down with Heather Thorkelson, the founder of Republic of Freedom, where she helps people find their version of freedom. She is a location independent and serial entrepreneur who has lived in Canada, Peru and is now based in Sweden.
In this week’s episode, Heather shares her remarkable life journey of finding her version of freedom. Her story is filled with adventures, including moving to Costa Rica as a teenager and having to essentially raise herself, as well as her decision to take a break from university to move to Japan at the age of nineteen.
Heather’s story is full of twists and we also discuss the biggest issues that hold people back from finding their freedom and designing their lives.
- Republic of Freedom Website: http://republicoffreedom.com
- Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/republicoffreedom
- Instagram: @repoffreedom
- Popular post: How I Karate-chopped Fear to Live a Life of Ridiculous Adventure
- Popular video: I Don’t Wanna Fight Anymore
- Other popular video: I Believe in Us
- Traveling while growing up dad airline pilot – 1:30
- Taking a break from university and moving to Japan at age 19 – 4:15
- How her tough upbringing allowed her to take care of herself – 6:30
- Her experiences in Japan – 10:00
- How she supported herself in Japan – 12:30
- Japanese culture – 14:00
- Returning to Canada to finish her degree – 16:00
- On moving to Mexico – 17:00
- On why she went corporate – 19:00
- On deciding her next steps after quitting her job – 22:00
- Becoming a life coach – 23:00
- Starting Republic of Freedom while living in Peru – 26:00
- The two things that helped her build her business – 27:00
- Business model behind her online business – 29:00
- Why you should pick the platform you’re good at – 32:00
- Why you should outsource – 35:00
- What is the republic of freedom – 42:00
- What’s holding most people back from finding freedom – 45:00
- On moving to Sweden – 47:00
- What she’s looking forward to in the next year – 48:00
- Why she loves the location independent lifestyle – 51:00
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining me again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comments section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share using the social media buttons on the page.
Also, please leave an honest review for The Remote Podcast on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, if you like what you hear, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast using the buttons below:
Special thanks to Heather for joining me this week. Until next time!
Want Me On Your Podcast?
Like what you heard and want me to be on your podcast? Visit this page for more information.
Want to Become a Digital Nomad?
Join my exclusive 7-part email course “Become a Digital Nomad in 7 Steps – Even If You Have No Idea Where to Start”, where I teach you exactly how to ditch your job and become a digital nomad.
The content in this course is exclusive and you won’t find it anywhere else on the blog. Get immediate access now by clicking the button below.