Listen to the Interview
Hello and welcome to The Remote Podcast Episode 26. This podcast is all about location independence, digital nomadism, and living life on your terms.
Each week we interview a new guest on the show, and this week I sat down with Austin Knight, who is a senior UX designer, speaker, and author from Hubspot based out of Boston and Rio de Janeiro. He is also the host of the UX and Growth Podcast.
This podcast episode totally blew me away. In this interview, Austin and I discuss:
- How he transitioned his role at Hubspot into a remote role
- Remote work versus digital nomadism
- Why finding a job you’re passionate about should be the first step of your remote work journey
- Why job boards should be your last resort for finding a remote job
- Why corporate-shaming is a form of scapegoating
- Why people and relationships are key to work and travel
- The most exciting tech trends coming up in 2017
Austin has an amazing way of breaking down complex problems and delivering incredibly eloquent answers. So without further ado, let’s get started.
Links We Discussed:
- Article: Want to be a better designer, travel
- Video: Simon Sinek on Millennials and entitlement
- Recommended Podcast: Inside VR & AR podcast
Follow Austin at:
- His personal website http://austinknight.com for his email list and essays on remote work
- Twitter: @ustinknight
- Podcast: UX and Growth Podcast
- HubSpot: http://www.hubspot.
- How Austin became a remote worker – 3:00
- His dad starting a remote company in the 90s – 7:00
- Why “digital nomad” is a buzzword and “remote work” is what’s really important – 9:30
- What his dad’s company did – 13:00
- Why he became a designer – 17:00
- Why having a job you are passionate about is the prerequisite to being a remote worker – 18:30
- The first thing you need to do if you want to work remotely – 22:00
- Why a remote job board should be your last resort – 27:00
- How Austin transitioned into a remote role at Hubspot – 31:00
- Want to be a better designer? Travel – 34:00
- Why corporate shaming is scapegoating – 38:30
- Why Millennials feel self-entitled – 42:30
- Favorite thing about traveling – 47:30
- What he’s most excited for in 2017 – 51:00
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining me again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comments section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share using the social media buttons on the page.
Also, please leave an honest review for The Remote Podcast on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, if you like what you hear, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast using the buttons below:
Special thanks to Austin for joining me this week. Until next time!
Want Me On Your Podcast?
Like what you heard and want me to be on your podcast? Visit this page for more information.
Want to Become a Digital Nomad?
Join my exclusive 7-part email course “Become a Digital Nomad in 7 Steps – Even If You Have No Idea Where to Start”, where I teach you exactly how to ditch your job and become a digital nomad.
The content in this course is exclusive and you won’t find it anywhere else on the blog. Get immediate access now by clicking the button below.